Monday, February 09, 2015

Goodbye Buddy




R.I.H. Simon. I will miss the clickity clack of your toes on the floor, the persistent staring when you need to go out, your counter surfing for food, and wiggling in front of me for attention. I hope you are chasing squirrels in heaven this evening! Good boy!

We had to have Simon put down today.  He was my first dog that I got on my own and, obviously,  the one I've had the longest.  17 years.  He lived in 5 different homes with me.  Traveled over 1200 miles to South Carolina and back.  Survived a hard year living in Grandma's garage when we didn't have a home of our own.  Was in a pack with many, many other dogs and cats throughout the years.  They came and went but he has always been there.  He has protected me, infuriated me, entertained me, and loved me til the end.  It was a tough decision but the right one.

Jayke and I took it pretty hard last night not hearing him pacing around the house.  Laynie and Nemo have been checking his bed regularly.  Laynie has looked in the closet, one of his favorite spots, and out side.  She didn't want to go into her crate without him.  Jayke is sleeping with his collar.  I pulled up some old pictures to try to help him cope.  This is his first loss.  All I could say was that tomorrow it will feel a little better and the day after that it will feel better than the day before.  He will always miss him but it won't hurt this much after a while.  He seemed to find some comfort in that and the stories I told him from when Simon was a puppy.  Also in knowing that he has no more pain.








No comments: