Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Raining Dippin Dots!!


Holy COLD its crap outside!! Snowmageddon 2011 is here!! At least if you listen to the weather forecasters that is what you will think. They are over the top with the drama and impending doom. Yes, we are having a storm. Yes, we are under an ICESTORM WARNING. No, we are not all gonna die! You might think so if you turn on the news though. I'm over it. So far we have gotten a few inches of sleet. A very light coating of ice is on the trees but it doesn't appear that we are getting much more of that. Snow is on the way next. 1 to 3 inches...nothing out of the ordinary. The wind could be the problem though. We will see what happens.

They must have gotten them all worked up at school for this storm though. I've never seen my kid so anxious about something. He was gathering flashlights, charging all of his electronics, and glued to the tv watching the weather report. He couldn't sit still though and you could almost feel how anxious he was about it. He kept putting his head in his hands and fidgeting around. I tried to down play the whole thing because he was such a wreck over it. Luckily they had Cub Scouts and the pack was going bowling. Opa took him and when he got home the anxiety was gone. I sure hope this isn't something that he is going to have frequently. I know how bad anxiety is I'm hoping that he won't suffer from it like his mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother do.

When he got home from bowling, (he won, by the way. I think he may turn out to be a pretty good bowler.) he was all about "roasting a weinie in the fireplace!" This was the first time we had the fireplace on in this house. I guess he thought cooking our meals in it sounded like a good plan. Me, not so much. The only thing that got roasted was my hand! Apparently bamboo shiskabob skewers aren't quite long enough for weinie roastin in the fireplace! Moving on.

Next idea was to make snow cones out of the sleet that was coming down outside. It looked like tiny little ice balls...or dippin dots, as in the ice cream they sell at theme parks for an arm and a leg. We set cups outside but by the time he headed for bed we only had about an inch of ice in them and I wasn't scooping any up off the ground. So much for that brainstorm!

A lot of fantastic ideas he had this evening and they kept us entertained and busy. I can hardly wait to be iced in with him for the next couple of days! Who knows what he will come up with next!

No comments: