Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mr. Telephone Man

Yesterday I had one of those proud moments as a parent. When you look at your child and you can see yourself in him and you are so proud of his accomplishments. Jaykeb learned how to dial Oma's phone number. Now he can call her anytime he wants and as often as he wants...which, it turns out, is about every 10 minutes. He is a chip off the ol block! Anyone who knows me knows how I love the telephone and now my child is taking after his mother.
tear slips down cheek
I don't think my mom is too thrilled with this development, however. Every 10 minutes she gets a phone call that goes something like this...

Mom: Hello?
Jayke: Hello, CAN I COME OVER?
Mom: (makes up and excuse and tells him not right now)
Jayke: Soooooo...what are you doing?
Mom: (tells him something)
Jayke: Okay, bye, I love you, be careful!

10 mintues later the call is repeated.

I just sit and laugh enjoying my son's accomplishment and my Mom's torture.

12 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Oh Wendy you are mean mean mean LOL

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

When I was Jayke's age I knew my granparents phone number AND EVERY TIME my Mom told me no about something or I got in trouble I would call my grand daddy and tell him to come get me cause Mom said I could sleep over. He would show up to get me and Mom wouldn't have a clue. BUT since he was there...I was going!

Anonymous said...

I bet she loves hearing that she's loved every 10 minutes! I know I would!

Kailani
An Island Life

Scoobers said...

That's cute. Just be careful with the numbers 9-1-1.
You might have a police officer knocking at your door.
If he's cute... send him over here.

wait... maybe i should have my nephew over this week. teach him how to dial ;)

eyes_only4him said...

oh thats funny....

Sandi said...

My cousin got her phone bill one month and found a very long phone call to New York City (from Tucson). She didn't know anyone in NYC so was sure it was a mistake. When she dialed the number to find out who it was, there was a lovely older woman on the other end who distinctly remembered a conversation with a little girl who reminded her of her own grandaughter. My cousin's 4-year old had randomly dialed and got the "grandmother." It was funny to me, not so funny to my cousin who had to pay the bill!

Wendy said...

Patti--Yes, I've been told that a time or two.

Cheeky--That is such a cute story! I can't keep Jayke home from Oma's these days.

Kailani--I'm sure she does, I do!

Scoobers--I haven't taught him that because I know he would dial it when he is mad at me.

FFM--I think so...mom doesn't. She's no fun at all!

Sandi--I would think that was funny even if it were my phone bill. Jayke calls his dad long distance but only on my cell. Preprogrammed numbers...an area code is too much for him to remember right now.

MBKimmy said...

love this ... I know you mom will love it one day!

Kellan said...

How adorable - and what a great story!!

Thanks for coming by and leaving the nice Birthday wish for my mother - take care. Kellan

Boom said...

I swear, we had this exact same conversation with Nana via speakerphone tonight. I love getting to listen to the agony of the dull convo via speakerphone!!

Bella said...

That is funny!

Anonymous said...

Oooh I can't WAIT until my Niece calls me on the phone. She just recently started talking to me on the phone (but my Brother or SIL have to dial for her) and she gets easily sidetracked and walks away mid-sentence at times ;-)

~malinwah