Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Brief Explanation of My Insanity

Kailani wanted to see our favorite Christmas ornament. Well, that would be difficult for me seeing as how I am crazy for Christmas! I should be after dealing with Christmas 12 months out of the year for 10 years!

In my past life...the one before Jaykeb was born...I worked in interior design. I did a lot of different jobs like floral design, in home consultation, visual display design, waited on customers, I even did the books but my favorite part of the job was planning the Christmas trees. I would start in January when the new catalogs came out and begin putting together my themes for our 9 trees. Sometimes I would also be planning a particular customer's special order tree as well. We would go to market closer to Christmas and that is when the fun really started. Seeing the stuff in person was so different than planning from the catalogs. It was exciting!

Since I dealt with Christmas 12 months out of the year it was hard not to change your own Christmas tree from year to year. If not change it then at least add a substantial amount to it. I believe currently I have 4 trees ranging from 9 foot to 4 foot and atleast enough stuff to fully decorate in 6 different themes. Crazy, I know. I couldn't help it!

When Jaykeb was born I decided I needed to go to a more kid-friendly themed tree and have stuck with that them ever since. Yes, I still add to it every year and next year I will need to use my bigger tree if I plan to get everything on it. My Christmas stuff was one of the things I made sure I didn't leave South Carolina without and I have decorated Grammy's house from top to bottom...literally.

So when I saw Kailani's post about showing off our favorite ornament I thought to myself how could I pick just one? Well, I couldn't so I give you several of my favorites and why...



This is a Department 56 Snowman in mercury glass. Department 56 is my FAVORITE company to buy Christmas ornaments from as you will see because most of the ones I chose to show you came from them.




We carried Department 56in our store but back then I was on different themes and wasn't really interested in them. I've had to acquire most of mine through Ebay since they are retired or hard to find. I don't think we ever had Humpty Dumpty in our store but I loved him the moment I saw him and had to get him. I like to have differnt size ornaments on the tree from very small to very large. Humpty is huge!



Another Dept 56 ornament for Jayke because he loves his automobiles!



Dept 56 baby shoes...For The Boy, of course! As you can see I love the mercury glass ornaments!



This one was Jayke's special ornament this year. He is on that Scooby kick ya know!



I'm crazy for The Kitty so I had to have this Kurt Adler collectible Hello Kitty! I like to have an ornament or ornaments that represent each of our likes on the tree.



This last one I had to think about putting on this year. It is the ornament Mike bought for me after Jaykeb was born. It seemed a little strange to put it on there with all three of our names on it but it seemed even stranger to not put it on. In the end I stuck it on...towards the back so it wouldn't constantly be reminding us of what we are missing this year.


Honestly I could have put a picture of every ornament I own on here and told a story about it but that could take weeks. I already showed the Texas Star I got from Tommiea earlier in the week and I got two super cute wooden ornaments from my cousin in Colorado. I managed to select an ornament that matched my tree perfectly from the ornament exchange party...we selected without seeing them first. It was a pair of red mercury glass mittens. Love it!

So there ya go. A handful of my favorite ornaments. So, do you have a fvaorite ornament or are you like me and love them all? Tell me, tell me!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourites are the homemade ones. I'm a sucker for anything homemade. Your blog is loverly!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Wanna come decorate my house?

Kellan said...

They are all so beautiful - I love glass ornaments and buy my son a glass automobile ornament every Christmas (my 3 girls get angels). Very pretty - take care. Kellan

Anonymous said...

You have really cool ornaments!! Thanks for looking a mine. :)

junglemama said...

I love all the ornaments! Beautiful. Our tree is full of homemade ornaments fromthe kids. :)

Bella said...

That is so cool.

When I grow up and get a place of my own, wanna come decorate it for me? I need help. I am not good at that.

Wendy said...

psychicgeek--Thank you! I like the homemade ones too, my son just is too little to have made many yet.

Cheeky--Sure, I can hit you and Katie in one trip!

Kellan--I buy way too many...it's a sickness!

Sher--Thanks!

Christine--Ours will have many homemade ones eventually.

Katie--I would love a trip North to help you decorate some day!

1 plus twins said...

those are all too cute. my hubby loves those mercury glass ones too. i hate to say it but we don't have any!! we have themed trees and they don't go with any of them. oh man i just forgot we do have some on the steeler tree my hubby found some this year and got them for it. the kids/santa tree has lots like the scooby one. i love them all. hope you and jayke have a very merry christmas!

Jenie said...

I think you can guess which one I liked most out of those. :P

I have too many favorites too...so I just picked my favorite one from this year to show off.

This is my last day in the bloggy world before Christmas, so I hope you and Jayke and the rest of your family have a fantastic Christmas!!

tommie said...

those are all so pretty! Hope your Friday is going well......

Monogram Queen said...

Oh God, like you I have many favorites with stories behind them.
Wendy HE is the one missing out, HE did this, not you. That's all i'm going to say on the subject but I have to speak up or i'll burst. You & Jaykeb are in my heart every day.
P.S. I LOVE Mercury glass too (easter is awesome as well) and we have some of the same autos/trucks)

Scoobers said...

I love the idea of this post. Finished putting my little tree up this week. I may use the idea :)
Those ornaments are great. I hope you are having a good holiday, Wendy.

Anonymous said...

All pizza places of USA http://pizza-us.com/california/Fontana/Truck%20Town%20Piccadilly%20Pizza/92335/

Find your best pizza.