
Jayke and I took a couple of walks today. On the first walk we went back behind my grandmother's house in the tall tall grass that is along the long pond. We started out to check out the buckeye tree, a favorite activity of Jayke's. We had the dogs with us so we were soon off into the tall grass to retrieve the mutts who had wondered off. Jayke thought it was great tramping around in that grass. He kept telling me he was hunting with Simon and Laynie, the dogs. I think The Boy and the dogs need to get out more often. All of a sudden I hear Jayke yelling, "A KANGAROO! A KANGAROO!" I turn just in time to see a rabbit running off through the field. Apparently he almost stepped on it in it's hiding spot down in the tall tall grass. So, not only does my child think a rabbit is a kangaroo, but my big hunting dogs (one is an actual beagle) didn't even have a clue there was a rabbit in the vicinity. Not even after it took off across the field.
We ventured over to the woods after that and found an abundance of milk weed to blow the seeds around. I was never allowed to do that as a kid. My grandpa would yell at me and tell me the farmer doesn't like them in the fields. Come on! How can a kid resist a milk weed pod just bursting with white fluffiness? Anyway, Grammy doesn't care so we blew all the seeds out of every pod we could find. We also discovered a tree stand on my dad's property with a salt lick just a few feet away. Talk about unfair advantage, not to mention illegal. Poor deer wouldn't even have a chance. I called Jim and he came and took the tree stand down and took the salt lick over to the field with the tall tall grass and the kangarabbit for the deer to be able to enjoy it safely. Jayke and I felt good after our hike and playing conservation officers. Grammy decided to take us out to dinner. Jayke got to pick...Red Lobster, his favorite. Today was a pretty good day.
13 comments:
Sounds like a fun afternoon with Jayke...
did you get the cheese biscuits....those are my fav!!!
Good days are the best!
looks like he is having fun, my kids would love playing in there, hope you are settling in ok.
Laughing at Jayke and the beagle with the rabbit!
I love Red Lobster too. Yum! Maybe Maddie and I will go there this week-end.
It's so good to hear from you Wendy. Keep your chin up honey. I can't say I know what you are going through but you've got a wonderful family for support and some friends all around the country who care about you and Jayke as well.
teeheehee There is going to be one pissed off deer hunter!
I'd love to be able to spend a day doing that with my kids.
I've never been a fan of hunting. I'm so glad you were able to move that salt lick. Good for you!
so glad you had a good day. my boys and i need a day like that big time!!
Sounds like a great day! Seeing kids enjoying nature is the best!
Great picture..
Looks like you both had a good day..
Have a great Thanksgiving too..
aww..how cute is that..
hey you I have not forgotten you just been kinda ok lazy alright I admit it enjoy those woods..
A kangaroo?? Hahahahah, boy, he'd flip if he really saw a kangaroo!!
Glad life is evening out for you guys! :-)
I had 9 blogs to read to catch up ... I am so glad you are here ... I have been lost with lack of time ... I never KNEW that babies took up so much time! haha
glad you are getting settled!
Post a Comment