Tuesday, September 11, 2007

All Aboard!


During our day of truancy we went with The Mom's Club to the South Carolina Botanical Gardens in Clemson. This was Jaykeb's and my first time there. We started out walking the path that goes around the entire garden to the right, then all the way back around to the area with the gardens and ponds, and back up to the parking lot. You can click on the map to enlarge.



Yes, we were dieing by the time we got back to the main entrance where the few moms who were left sat and had snacks and let the kids play on the old caboose. I was very proud of The Boy. He made it the entire way and never once asked for me to carry him. I was ready to ask him to carry me though!



The gardens were really nice and I plan to go back on a cooler day to explore them a little further. By the time we got around to the good stuff we were too tired and thirsty to look and just headed for the parking lot and the cooler.



There is also an old historical landmark home in the gardens called the Hanover House. You know how I love to look at old homes! This one was relocated from the Low Country to the gardens. I don't know if you could go in it or not, that will be something to check out next time we go.



I think the favorite part of the gardens, at least for the kids, was the caboose. They played for a long time up on the end of it, pretending to pick up passengers along their way.



Jaykeb loved being able to take a long walk outside and didn't want to leave. I think we did leave just in time though. He was worn out. We made a quick stop on the way home at another old plantation house just to get a brochure on it. It is the Ashtabula House. I've been wanting to tour it for a while. I think we will go back when Oma is here. Jayke and I were lucky enough to get a sneak peak though when they took us through the main corridor of the home to get the information I had requested. Jayke wanted to stay and look around. I would have settled for sitting on the big ol front porch for a while. There is something about those old porches, you could spend hours just sitting. With the slight breeze today it would have been a perfect afternoon to lounge on the porch at Ashtabula. I love that name!



We headed home after that and The Boy took a very long nap. He even woke up in a good mood for a change. I think I need to wear him out more often. I, on the other hand, did not take a nap so I am exhausted.



Update: Angi's mom had her surgeries today. They were able to fix everything instead of having to go back and do more surgery at a later date. They repaired her femur, wrist, and knee. She will have to go to rehab but should be able to begin her recovery now. Angi is doing well, just really tired. I'm sure she is relieved now as well.

12 comments:

Jenie said...

Sounds like a fun day! And touring that house would be awesome.

Monogram Queen said...

Glad Angi's Mom came through her surgeries okay. Continued prayers.

I bet Jayke would love the shrimp boat at the Childrens Musuem on Ann Street (behind the visitors center and across from the Music Farm) in downtown Charleston

eyes_only4him said...

I love that kinda stuff..

Too bad its cold as hell here now, or I would gander to such a place with my Boo...but its gonna frost here anyday..damn

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Wow sounds fun! I do have to say though - while I can sympathize with the heat you were experiencing - it didn't even make it to 60 degrees yesterday here and I woke up this morning to 40 degrees and frost on the ground (ducking now)...I know I know you will get me back some winter when I am buried under the "S" word....hehe

Wendy said...

Jenie--I know I can't wait to go back. They don't let you take pictures though.

Patti--I'm sure he would love it! I can't wait until we can go to Charleston sometime.

FFG--I can't believe it is that cold there when it was 95 at the gardens!

Cheeky--I hear this from my dad all the time. This is always my favorite time of year in Indiana. Not so much down here.

Angi said...

Love the pictures! We have a park, "Pullen Park" that has a caboose my kids love. They are begging me to go on a real train.

tommie said...

Looks like a great day! I love old houses like that.

Anonymous said...

Great use of pics to show your day. I'm impressed right there! And I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but could he BE any cuter?!?!

Bella said...

Glad Angi's mom came through the surgeries ok.

Were you able to follow the map and get to where you wanted to go? Or did they have the same designers as the zoo did?

Halfmexican Mama said...

the pic by the sprinkler is beautiful!

Wendy said...

Vail--We are thinking about taking Jaykeb to North Carolina to ride the train there. They do a Thomas the Tank Engine one and a Polar Express at Christmas.

Tommiea--I do too!

My Mini Van--Thanks, I never leave home without the camera.

Katie--The map of the gardens was much better than the zoo map. They need to fire their map person and whoever is in charge of the Mole Rats!

HMM--Thanks, I like that one too.

Anonymous said...

goapsuggida [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-mobic-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Mobic without no prescription online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-motilium-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Motilium without no prescription online[/url]