Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Wicked Book Review



Since I have that Spring Reading Thing banner up there in the corner I thought I better post something about what I've read. So far, other than a very few children's books and my usual magazines, I've readWicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.
I had a love/hate thing going on with this book. The story is that of the life of the witch starting at birth and running all the way up to wear Dorothy accidentally kills her. The beginning was slow going. There is a lot of difficult language to get through but eventually that changes and the reading becomes easier.
It is an interesting story of how Elphaba, the little green girl, becomes a witch after many years of stuggling with politics, religion, social class, dissapointment, and loss. You will find yourself sympathizing with her and understanding why she was perceived as a witch. Their are comparisons to our political struggles today and comparisons to Nazi Germany made by the predjudices toward Animals. It was a little too political for me. The best part of the book, in my opinion, were Elphaba's years at University. There were times when I couldn't put it down in anticipation of what was about to happen, but I felt a little let down at the final climatic moments. I felt like I was always inching toward the edge of my seat only to slump back down when the book didn't deliver. Even knowing how the story would end there were possibilities for this book to go beyond what I felt, was an anticlimatic ending. All though I was a tad disapointed in the way it ended, I'm definately glad I read it and am considering the sequel, Son of a Witch.

2 comments:

Bella said...

I had a hard time with Wicked the first time I read it. I need to read the sequel.

First Bitches!

Sandi said...

I also read taht book and had trouble in the beginning. We had seen the play first so I at least had an idea where it was heading. But it took awhile to get into the rhythm. I was going to read the sequel, but is just seemed like too much work!