(This is only a small representation of the entire group)
Literally. I had the entire team plus some of their younger siblings in our "other" hotel room...aka..."Jayke's Place".
After coming home from Colorado I had to turn around and go back to Carmel for a soccer game the very next day. That, in itself, wasn't too bad but didn't leave much time for packing...or should I say RE-packing for the following weekend in Louisville, Kentucky.
Friday after we returned from our trip out west, we headed south to Louisville for a two day soccer tournament. We got two hotel rooms, one for the 3 kids and one for us (Jeff and me). Saturday we had two games and afterwards the entire team headed back to the hotel for swimming, a carry-in dinner, and then...party at Jayke's place. He invited the entire team up to his hotel room for a "party". I must have been temporarily out of my mind and agreed to this.
All the kids made a break for the elevators and stairs before I could even blink. I was trying to get up there with them so I could lay down some ground rules but kept getting hung up by more parents asking if they could, conveniently, send their kid up as well. Sure! The more the merrier...(wth was I thinking?)
I finally got up there and luckily, I had a key since I was unaware of the secret code word to get admission. Once inside I was overwhelmed by the smell of kids who had been out playing soccer, swimming, eating garlic bread sticks, and running through the hotel. They had turned the air conditioner off which helped contribute to the ripeness in that room. After the smell hit me, the next thing I was aware of was that all the lights were off, there was a strobe light going, and they had chosen to listen to Eminem while all laying around on the beds and floor playing their tablets. Pretty tame, as long as they kept the noise level down and the AC up. Each kid had also brought host gifts, it appeared. There was a collection of half eaten bags of Goldfish crackers, fruit roll ups, and other chosen snacks piled on the tv stand. I also discovered that before I arrived there must have been a pretty intense Cheese ball war waged.
I can't even imagine how people have more than two kids and keep their sanity. I felt like a top, spinning around and around. Picking up shoes, socks, cheese balls, orange coated wash clothes (from the cheese balls) and even a toothbrush and toothpaste. I had kids coming at me from all angles asking questions, telling me things, and Jayke showing off by MOUTHING off and trying to usher me out of the room. My main objective was to get them to understand they had to be quiet or the wheelchair bound gentleman in the room adjacent to theirs would likely get us removed from the premises. Once it was down to a dull roar, I left for my room with one last order...they had to come tell me if they were leaving to go back to their room or any other reason.
I then made my way across the hall and down towards the elevator where I propped the door open and set up camp in a chair where I could see both the tv, and the hall way. The party broke up not too long after it started. They were in there maybe an hour before they all started heading to their own rooms, whether by their choice or their parent's. All in all, it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. We didn't get kicked out and all the lamps were still standing. Everyone had to get to bed for an early morning game. We played for the win in our bracket but, ultimately were eliminated and didn't advance. We headed home in shock after rolling through the first day and only allowing one goal the entire tournament. Too bad it was the one that put us out.

No comments:
Post a Comment