Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Road I Travelled

I haven't talked about my job situation on here at all so I guess it's time for a post updating my current occupation....and the route I took to get here.

I left Anesthesia Services after 3 years in February, 2011. I looked for a job relentlessly right off the bat. Went on many interviews only to feel like I was given the run around. One place went to far as to have me work a half day, didn't bother to pay me, and then didn't hire me either. After that, I was completely discouraged. I spent the next 10 months lunching with friends and watching daytime television. I finally got a call in November to come in and take a test to see if I would qualify to tech support Turbo Tax software. I took the test and was told that I had scored higher than all the other candidates who had applied. Encouraging. Hired on the spot. Would start in December, 3 days after Christmas. 3 days after Christmas I realized I was beginning a job that I was going to hate.

I spent 3 months telling people how to do their taxes, how to access what their accounts, how to download their software, and how to trouble shoot various other computer issues. It was stressful while on the call but I have to admit when I helped a little old man get through his taxes and I could hear the relief in his voice, it felt good. Not good enough to stay though. After the tax season they started trying to push us out since they no longer had positions for us with Turbo Tax. We could be moved to the Apple account to support the iPad, iPod, and iPhone but I would have to work a night shift. 4 til midnight. I would never seee Jayke. I quit right then.

Two days later I took a job at a collection agency doing their data entry work. This was more my speed. At least I knew how to do this work and felt comfortable. My new boss was thrilled with me because I actually knew how to do the work and needed little assistance or training. I caught them up from a period of time they were missing an employee. This would work for a while but I had something else going on.

I had interviewed for a position with a company called Midwest Homes for Pets. The supervisor and I had immediately hit it off and I was going in for a second interview. 2 hours after that interview, I had the job. Now all I had to do was tell the collection agency I was leaving them after only 3 days. This conversation went a lot better than I thought it would. She told me she was grooming me for her position and if it didn't work out at this job to give her a call. THAT made me feel good and I was excited about the new position.

Here is my new home: http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/

I was hired as a supervisor and key account manager. I handle their two largest accounts, Petsmart and Amazon. I'm responsible for measuring product to meet the meter requirements for container loads coming from China. I also manage the website for Amazon, basically if you go to Amazon.com and place an order for one of our dog crates I'm the one who gets that order and ships it to you from our warehouse. I bring all the product for those two accounts over from China and get it it to it's prospective distribution centers. Sounds crazy but it is actually fun. I enjoy it. I enjoy the women I work with. I know I'm learning a job and eventually will be taking over a position of supervisor. I'm moving forward...finally. I look forward to going to work.

So that's what I've been up to for the past year and a half.  Got the good job...time for other areas of my life to follow suit.

No comments: