Thursday, March 31, 2011

Letters Home



My mom has a whole box full of letters my Grandpa wrote home to his parents during WWII. He was a marine stationed in the South Pacific. I wish we had a box that he wrote to my Grandma but apparently out of all the little scraps of paper Grandma did save (most of them poked in her cookbooks) she did not save the letters Grandpa wrote her. That or they were lost somehow. At least these survived. This is only a picture of a couple of them. In one of the letters he talked about sleeping with rats on top of him. He couldn't say much about the island where he was stationed because the censors wouldn't let them. I did find it funny that in one letter he was talking about how my grandma wasn't much for telling people what she thinks. HA! That may have been the funniest thing I've ever read! If she was ever like that, she certainly got over it!

I may have to make my way through this box now that I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

No comments: