Today was parent lunch day at school. I was pleased to learn that one of the menu selections was school pizza. Haven't had a school pizza...well, since I was in school! We won't count how many years ago that was. I had really built my hopes up for this little rectangular piece of pie. I remember how pizza days were always my favorite. I liked the school pizza so well that my dad, who was a teacher, even used to buy slabs of them for us to eat on the weekends. I couldn't wait to enjoy my lunch with The Boy.
I got to the shool plenty early...Jayke tends to start to worry if I'm not there waiting for him when I'm supposed to be. The class comes by and each child picks up their parent as they pass through the lobby. This was our first awkward moment as I immediately, and obviously thoughtlessly, reached for and took his hand in line. He looked at me like I was an alien. I let go right away and then there was a moment where we both just looked at each other, not really knowing what to do next. He relunctantly took my hand with this look on his face that told me he was going to do this but ONLY for my benefit.
Our second awkward moment was when I accidentally stepped too far forward in the line and he felt I was cutting the boys in front of us. My bad. I figured I better just let him lead the way the rest of the time so I didn't get in any more trouble. He instructed me the rest of the way on how to take my tray, where the utensils were, and where we were going to sit.
When we entered the cafeteria I thought for a moment I was with a rock star! Little girls screaming his name. Boys waving him to the spot next to them at their table. Jayke just walking as if it were a normal everyday happening. I listened after that to see if any other kids got that kind of reception and no one did. He must be quiet popular. LOL
We found a seat and finally, my little square pizza was in front of me and I was about to take a trip down memory lane. Ha! Man was I disappointed! School pizzas have either gotten way worse than when I was a kid or I have developed much better taste as an adult. I'm going with the latter. The flavor was pretty much the same it's just that I've had so many other kinds to compare it to that now it just wasn't as wonderful. They also apparently care more now about your health and/or weight because the french fries that we used to get with our pizza were now replaced with about two tablespoons of salad. Still had the same ol chocolate milk though and it was just as I remembered. The school chocolate milk is just a little different than what you get at the store...at least I always felt (and still feel) that way.
After lunch Jayke promptly directed me to the trash cans and showed me where to put my tray. I think he enjoyed taking on the roll of teacher. I left him in his classroom diligently working on his vocab worksheets. Tonight he had a friend ride the bus home with him for the first time. Gotta go take them to eat INSIDE McDonalds right now. Maybe I will have a post about his play date tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment