Guess what! It is almost fall! My favorite time of the year...well...it used to be. It has bad memories now but I'm hoping this year will be the beginning of me being able to enjoy fall again. I began my quest to bring the fun back to fall by shopping for The Boy's Halloween costume. Yes, it is early. Yes, I like to be prepared. I do this every year. Actually I'm a little late this year. Kinda like making my Christmas list. I usually have that done 6 months ahead of time. I'm late with that this year too.
So last night I sat down at the computer and started browsing the selection of costumes. Somehow The Boy seems to think he gets a choice in what he will wear this year. What? Why would he think such a thing? Doesn't he know that he is MINE until he is 18 and I will make all decisions such as what he will wear on Halloween, what sports he will play, and who he will date. How dare he think he gets an opinion!
Being the wonderful mother that I am I went ahead and took his preference of frightful costume into consideration. I then went on to look at the costume I thought he should wear. I came up with all kinds of great reasons why he should dress up the way I want him too. He actually was persuaded and reluctantly gave into my choice. "Okay Mommy...I'll be a(fill in blank)." sad look AHA! I had won! Another battle I won! Then I took another look at the selection for the character he WANTS to be. I found one that was pretty cute and since, like I said, I'm a wonderful mother...I changed my mind. I copied and pasted the picture of what he wants to be into an email and sent it along to my mother so she can start making it. I'm not, afterall, going to spend the $80 they want for this costume when Oma can make it like she did last year's. Remember the super cute chaps and vest she made for my little cowpoke?
In the end it wasn't about winning the argument or getting my way, it was being able to recognize that The Boy is able to make decisions on his own now and I'm just going to have to let him on some things. This is probably my last year to be able to convince him to go with the "cute" Halloween costume instead of something disgusting and ridiculous like most boys once over the age of four like to wear. It is just another thing...no matter how little...that reminds me he is growing up.
The compromise that we made on the costume was that I agreed to the character he wants to be and he agreed to let me choose which version he will be. I picked the cutest version, not the scary version. Even though this wasn't my choice I think it will turn out darn cute and NO...I'm not going to even give you a clue!
8 comments:
thats one thing I hate is waiting 4 them to chose what they wanna be 4 halloween.
Its buggin the piss outta me that summer is coming to a close, it just went by so bloody fast.
I feel your pain.... my little Dorothy was so cute last year! This year she is leaning toward a mermaid.... we'll see how THAT goes! I wish Oma could make her a mermaid costume!
Honey don't let Fall be ruined for you... I know it's got to be hard.
FFM--It did go fast but now that it has gotten stinkin hot here I'm ready for fall.
MQ--I always worry when Oma makes something. Sometimes she gets in a hurry and it doesn't turn out so well. We just cross our fingers and hope.
Awww...kids are so cute at Hallowe'en. Last year was my first for TOTers, and I almost died from the cuteness. Force it onto The Boy for as long as possible, I say!
Happy Haunting,
Aelwyn
aelwynshalloween.blogspot.com
WEll, that was not fair - not telling us - HA!
Nice to see you - take care - Kellan
You are mean! I want a hint!
At least you know how and when to let go of your only little one...maybe you and my mother should have a little chat about "letting go" haha
this is the exact reason we have been a freaking dragon/dinosaur for two years. He liked the one from the previous year before!
Post a Comment