Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Think We Would Smell It in This Heat



It's just a weird thing when you sitting at your desk and you hear an announcement over the pa system like this, "They're sending an officer over to check on the car out back with the dead body in the trunk." Then the phone rings...

Jess: "Wendy can you do me a favor?"

Me: "NO! I am not going outback to check on the dead body!"

Turns out no dead body but the car was stolen and found to be the one used in the robbery of the Walgeens last Thursday. Now, I find it a little scary that an armed robber was in our parking lot last Thursday while we were all inside and any one of us could have walked out and seen him dropping off that car. Then what? Yes, we do have a keypad on the backdoor and you have to enter your own personal code to get in. Good thing there is a big ole' sign newly posted on the door reminding us slow folk that there are only 4 digits in that code and it is the last four of our social security number. Only four random digits could easily be figured out by some gun toting lunatic who needs a place to hide or a HOSTAGE!

Seriously, it really just made me be more aware of my surroundings when I leave the building but I'm not really worried about becoming someone's hostage. Kept me entertained today though.

6 comments:

tommie said...

That is scary! I guess it will make you that much more aware of your surroundings. Hope work isn't too crazy.

Anonymous said...

Alright...I'm just guessing (and not to make light of the situation at all but it was the first thing that came to my mind)but I'll bet the person went to their Target to get their meds first and it didn't work (shocking...they were out but could get them the next day) and had to steal a car to get to Walgreens to get their Happy Pills.

Just a guess.

P.S. It is amazing how we can feel so secure one day and then the next our entire world is flipped b/c of an event...random or otherwise...

MBKimmy said...

very very scary I am terrified that I will be kidnapped one day - no idea why but I am!

Bella said...

I hate how places use your SSN or a part of it for security stuff.

I would totally be creeped out!

Monogram Queen said...

Seriously you should ALWAYS be aware of your surrounds. I really try to be..........

Wendy said...

Tommie--work is always crazy...it's the people not the job.

TKW--I am sure you are correct...all getting your happy pills can be a life or death situation and definitely grounds for grand theft auto!

MBKimmy--I'm scared that my kid will be taken but I know if anyone took me they would bring me right back!

Bella--I agree...we had perfectly good non SS codes and they changed them all for some reason. There is no figuring out they way that place works though!

Patti--I was when lived in SC but at home where I've lived all my life I don't think about it as much and I should.