Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Frozen Winter Wonderland



I think I have a sledding injury. My neck is killing me. Must have been that huge bump Jayke and I hit while flying down the slopes. We didn't get the snow they said we would but we got enough to sufficiently cover the huge hill in McCollough park where the best sledding in town is. Angi invited us to join her family for sledding and we happily went. I had located The Boy's snow boots stuffed in his grocery cart and I got him stuffed into his snow gear...not an easy task when he is constantly screaming at me about bumps in his socks and his sleeves not being right.

We got to the park and it was packed. Half of Muncie was there with every kind of sled and snowboard you can imagine. We found a good place and off we went. I have to admit I didn't think Jayke would go down this huge hill but he did. Hopped right on the sled with Angi's daughter, Maci, and went flying through the masses of people right to the bottom.



It didn't take long before Angi and I decided to join them. Yes, we had four sleds but decided to pile up on one for our first trip down the slope. We ran out of room so we had Maci hanging onto the back of the sled going down on her stomach. Good thing, she slowed us down some.



When we got back to the top of the hill I asked her husband, Ryan, if we were the picture of grace and eloquence gliding down the hill. I don't think that was quite the image he got of the two grown women flying down the hill on a neon orange sled screaming louder than all the kids out there. I was hoping the daylight reflecting off my huge silver earrings would alert the people on the hill that we were coming. I think the screaming did a better job though.

After that ride down The Boy had worked up the courage to tackle the hill solo. He climbed on one of the discs and took off down the hill. He needs to work on his technique though, leaning back dragging your hands while your feet are sticking up in the air is not the best way to accelerate down the hill. It was slow going but he made it and then trudged back up the hill carrying his sled.






There was a guy there taking video that we assumed he would use for the news or to get stills from for the paper. He was fond of Jayke and took lots of shots of him. I think he was admiring the technique. I'm hoping to see his rosy cheeks in the paper tomorrow.

After an evening cruising down the frozen hill we had to go have hot chocolate (a Mocha for me)from Starbucks. Daddy had won a bunch of gift cards a while back and Jayke and I are still using them. Even the folks at Starbucks were getting into the frozen spirit and I snapped this while waiting at the window for my order...



I just wish I had a picture of my sledding ensemble to show you. Pigtails, earmuffs, huge silver earrings, soccer socks so I could roll my jeans up on top of my boots, and my new white winter coat. The before and after shots would have been priceless. Somehow Ang and I looked worse than the kids when we got back to her house and peeled off all our snow gear. How does that happen?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my humble opinion I think that yyou DEFINITELY qualify for Mother of the Year...sledding with your kid in the snow?!?!?

I bow down to you.

tommie said...

that looks like so much fun.....then to get a mocha chocka lokka latte!! Life doesn't get better than that...

Bella said...

You are a brave woman.

Yum, Starbucks.

Monogram Queen said...

Sounds like you had a good time, nothing funnier than a grown up sledding. I remember my sledding days as a kid, FLYING down the hill, watery eyes and the tears freezing on your cheeks. Good times

Jenie said...

Hehe...I haven't been sledding in forever! Jayke looks too cute on the sled!

And yum...a perfect ending to a snow day!

Kellan said...

Such cute pictures of such a fun day - I am so jealous of the snow and the sledding - have fun and Happy Holidays to you and your lovely family. Kellan

1 plus twins said...

by the pictures it sure looks like you all had a blast. you have provided some wonderful memories for jayke!! and starbucks afterwards, now for that i might have thought about heading out into the cold too. glad you had a good time!