Friday, August 31, 2007

Bad Mini-Van driving Woman

We had our first serious accident with slight injury on Tuesday. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to tell about this on here or not. I feel guilty because I know it was partly my fault, I am the mother after all. First let me say that Jayke is fine, I'm fine, we are all fine. I would be a lot better if my mother would stop acting like I don't know what I'm doing with him though. Sorry mom, you are.

After picking Jayke up from school Tuesday, I ran to Target to return an item that I got from the website that came damaged. I purposely parked next to the cart return so I could put the item, which was fairly large, and Jaykeb right in the cart. I hate having him walk in the parking lot. He protested a little and I told him I wanted him in the cart so I didn't have to worry about him getting run over by a car. In he went and we headed for the doors. Jaykeb was squatting in the front of the cart holding onto the edge when a van started to back out right as we were walking behind it. The lady driving slammed on her breaks at the same time I stopped abruptly and pulled the cart back. When I did this Jaykeb stood all the way up at the same time and flipped head first over the front of the cart. He landed on the top of his head on the concrete.

I'm not really sure what happened next other than I ran around to the front of the cart and grabbed him up. I think I must have screamed because another lady and her daughter ran over and as I glanced around I saw people all over the parking lot looking in our direction. I started checking him out to see how badly he was hurt. He had a huge purple knot on his head and it looked like road rash on his scalp where he hit. I started asking him questions about his neck and trying to look at his eyes to make sure they looked normal. He was screaming but calmed down quickly after I had him in my arms and told him he wasn't bleeding or anything. He wanted to know if his head cracked open. I don't know how it didn't.

Now, with all of this that happened you would think that the woman who about ran us over would have gotten out of her car to see if my child was okay, right? Nope! She sat in her van, half in and half out of her parking spot just looking at us. I carried Jayke in my arms and slowly walked behind the van making sure she saw that I was looking at her. I stopped a few cars up to check his head again and the lady pulled up beside us and in the most sickening sweet voice said, "Awwww, is he okay?" Not sorry I about plowed over you, not sorry I didn't get out to make sure you were okay, not do you need any help. Now I understand accidents happen, she may not have seen us but it was her lack of action after the fact that really ticked me off! If I had about run over someone and their child had just landed on his head, I would have been out of that car in a flash to make sure the poor kid was okay. I would have offered to go get ice or do whatever I could to help. Not this woman. I guess I should be happy she at least asked if he was okay before going on her merry way.

I took The Boy inside and sat down with him to check him out again, let him cool off, get him a cold bottle of water to put on his head, and a drink. He said his head didn't hurt. He didn't understand why I kept asking about his neck either. He said, "Why would my neck hurt, I fell on my head!" So true. The poor little guy had a huge goose egg that was making his hair stick out over his forehead. He insisted he was fine then told me he wanted to buy a lot of stuff in Target. He must have been fine, his shopping gene was kicking in.

We made our return and went on to pick up a couple of things we needed but I couldn't stop seeing him landing on his head. I was furious at that woman and furious at myself for not making him sit all the way down in the cart. I still feel really bad every time I look at him. He is fine. Hasn't complained one bit and the knot is gone along with all the bruising. You can hardly tell anything is there at all now. When I asked him if he wanted to tell Daddy what happened all he wanted to talk about were his new kid scissors he got today. He had moved on but I'm still traumatized. I'm also afraid if he ever breaks a bone or something my mom may have a stroke!

On a happier note, I am thrilled to report that day two in school was just as great as day one! I think he is going to have a great year as long as he gets to be Weather Helper soon. If not, he may boycott.

15 comments:

Sandi said...

As a mother we expect to be able to prevent all bad things from happening to our kids - but it just isn't possible. We learn a little bit from each one of these accidents (like when my son was running in flip flops on a wet sidewalk and fell backwards on his head!), our heart stops when they happen, and luckily, for the most part, everyone survives. Glad Jayke is okay. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Ren said...

What a day for both of you! It is amazing how many people out there are just oblivious. I'm glad you both are okay.

Weather Helper :) I hope they pick him soon.

Bella said...

To play devil's advocate, maybe she didn't really react since she didn't want to admit liability?

I'm glad he's ok. Don't beat yourself up over this.

tommie said...

Will did something very similiar. He fell off the top of one of those Little Tikes Cars onto concrete at a birthday party. I did the same as you, iced it, and gave him some Tylenol. I slept with him that night because I was paranoid he wouldn't wake up or something. He was fine....and the dang kid still climbs on that stupid car. I should Freecycle it!

Anonymous said...

Ryan fell out of a shopping cart at the grocery store on his head too when he was about 1 yr. The cart was the type that was higher than normal and only 1 ft high sides. I haven't seen that type for years, thank goodness. I called the Dr. and they said to keep an eye on his pupils but they didn't say to bring him in.
Glad Jayke's ok.

Thanks also for the pictures of Chelsea.

Love,
Dona

Boom said...

Every single time one of mine gets hurt or sick, i think 'Why didn't i do this? Why didn't i stop that? What if i would have done this instead?'...it never ends as a mother. I'm sorry you're going through it. Glad to hear everyone is okay!!!

In the meantime, you can work on channeling your anger at that stupid lady in the parking lot first. Grrrrrr! And then you can channel the leftover angst towards Target and the stupid damaged stupid thing you ordered from their stupid stupid store.

Better? ; )

Wendy said...

Sandi--Yes, we do and Jayke has not tried to stand in a cart since and I am very aware when walking through parking lots!

Ren--Yep, she was! She knew my child was hurt right behind her van though and didn't get out to see if she could help. That is what REALLY made me mad.

Katie--Yeah, I thought of that too. Sad that we live in a world like that now.

tommiea--Jayke hasn't tried climbing on top of his Little Tykes car and I hope he never does. Will is a brave boy!

Dona--We have those carts at one of our grocery stores here still but I won't let Jayke ride in them. They should get rid of them completely.

Boom--I think you are right...it is Target's fault for not packaging the item I ordered better!

JUST A MOM said...

POOR BABY YOU I mean the kid will be fine,, Wendy don't hang onto it... we ALL do stuff that we go oh crap what was I thinking,,, It is hard on us mom's to REMEMBER when we get so old.... don't dewll on it... I could sit here and write down all the.. oh man's but I WILL NOT!!!! I WAS A PERFECT MOMMY!!!!! poor kid did he get a popsycle....

Wendy said...

Just a Mom--Thanks. No, no popsicle...he got a new toy in Target.

Jenie said...

Awww..poor guy! Glad that he's all right.

And don't beat yourself up about it. Accidents happen and now you and he both know that he'll be sitting down next time he's in the cart.

Grrr about the lady in the van. I can't believe she didn't even get out to check and see if he was ok!

Halfmexican Mama said...

Im glad he's ok...the only part im not gonna miss about having a boy are all the injuries...they are just so stinking brave!!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO sorry you had to go through that. I HATE parking lots with my kids so much.

You didn't do anything wrong. We all have those crazy scary close calls that result in anxiety dreams and self-doubt.

Hugs to the little one :)

Wendy said...

Jenie--I know! Can you believe she didn't even get out to see if he was okay!

HMM--Lucky for him he seems to have my high pain tolerance. I thought he would cry and fuss all evening but it was over just as fast as it happened.

My MiniVan...--I just hope I don't have any more of those moments!

Monogram Queen said...

Honey those things happen no matter what. I know how you feel though, mother guilt is an awful thing!
Wendy's Mom - EASE UP.

Arlene said...

Some things to make you feel better:

I locked Ariel in the car when she was 9 months old and had to wait for the police/fire dept to break into my car and get my screaming baby out.

I got her out of the car at 18mos old, sat her on the ground, turned around to shut the door, and slammed her had with the door because I didn't realize she was trying to climb back in.

I slammed her fingers in a sliding glass door around that same age...

Tyler has remained surprisingly unharmed, but you get the idea. Shit happens, and as much as you want to, you just can't stop it. Don't beat yourself up hun. You're a great mom!!