Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"After All, You Don't Milk a Bean!"

Truer words were never spoken. Heard at the goat farm today when one of the mother's asked how the digestion of soy milk compared to that of goat milk. I guess farmers don't consider soy milk milk. Whatever...I thought it was a darn good question. The goat lady was serious about her goat milk. That and I don't think she was enjoying a gaggle of three and unders running amok. Oh well, the kids had fun and that is what we were there for.



I actually really enjoyed the farm today. It was a little cooler than it was at the zoo. The kids were all very well behaved. The goats were well behaved except for one wascally one who got ahold of my shirt and wasn't going to let go. I especially LOVED the dogs. Each pasture had it's own guard dog. A Great Pyrennes. They were friendly enough as long as you stayed on the other side of the fence. One of them did the dog lean on me for a while and I thought I might have to steal her and take her home with me. God knows I need just one more dog!



We started off with an explanation of some of the different kinds of goats. Who knew there were so many and from so many different countries. Well, I know now but none of the kids know because they were too busy trying to get the goats to eat leaves, sticks, rocks, anything they could pick up. There were baby goats, male goats, mohair goats, three billy goats gruff goats, but no old goat...he had to go to work today. There were cats running around and chickens fleeing for their lives from childrens chasing them. Yes, I said childrens. There were even some pot belly pigs enjoying random mud holes around the farm.



We got to taste whole goat milk, goat cheese and fudge made with goat milk. Jaykeb loved the milk which shocked me because he doesn't like white cow's milk...only chocolate. He enjoyed the cheese which was flavored with raspberry and the fudge, let's just say I had to buy 3 bricks and there are only two left. No, I didn't eat it all either! Here are some of the kids waiting for their samples.



Jaykeb was his usual entertaining self today. He started the day off by covering his ears and yelling, "THAT STUPID CHICKEN IS HURTING MY EARS!" There was a rooster crowing somewhere near by, after that he loudly announced that the goat he was petting kind of stunk and when I told him to stop chasing the chickens he yelled across the yard, "Why? Because they might poop on me?" That's my boy. All about the poop. I was happy to see it wasn't only my child that is fascinated by an animal's bodily functions though. All the kids thought it was great when one of the demonstration goats pooped right there in front of all of us. I've said it before and I will say it again, when you have a three year old you will be shocked at how much of your daily conversation revolves around poop! Just wait Serenity, you will see!



We brought home some goat cheese for Daddy to try but I didn't get any of the flavored kinds and the looks on Mike's and Jayke's faces were priceless when they tried it. I guess I won't be needing to buy any more of that kind. I want to go back in the spring when the babies are being born. Jayke wants to take Oma and Opa there next time they come too. I think this has been one of my favorite Mom's Club activities so far.

Here is the Mohair goat. She was the only one with horns. Her name is Angie.



Another fun filled day in the sweltering heat! Tomorrow I'm only stepping outside to walk from the car into karate and back to the car again.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny is that kid? I'm loving the picture of Angie!!!

Anonymous said...

very funny AJ.....looks like a fun time!!! :-)

tommie said...

It looks like everyone had fun. One of my kids favorite snack is goat cheese with those 5 grain Wheat thins! It is also good with a light white wine.....for me, not the kids!

Jenie said...

Sounds like another fun day. I've never tried goat milk or cheese. Hmmm...wonder if I'll ever be brave enough. lol

And I can just hear all the little kids laughing at the animal's "functions". LOL My nephews and nieces were the same way. "Ewwwww...heheheheh"

Enjoy your day in the a/c.

Halfmexican Mama said...

You must have snuck up to Michigan to take that pic of me laying in the mud...Oh and I know an Angie that looks like that too...I swear!

Wendy said...

AJ--Yep, he is a hoot. I don't think Angi is loving Angie or that you are loving Angie.

Anon (angi)--I didn't make that up I promise! It was very fun...I'm sure you would have hated it though.

tommiea--Most of the world drinks goat milk. We are in the minority when it comes to milk. It is a lot easier to digest so that is great for the little ones.

Jenie--Nothing funnier than poop!

Halfmexican Mama--nope...it was a self portrait!

Joyismygoal said...

Fun day

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww...I love goats. Their eyes are kinda creepy but I like them.

P.S. My girls have taught theneighbor girl to sing, "Old MacDonald had a farm, ei-ei-poop!!!"

They're all about the poop too.

Wendy said...

Joyismygoal--Welcome!

TKW--What is with the poop fascination...I don't get it.

Sandi said...

Seeing your photos and reading the blog make me miss my kids being little when I could do things like that with them. Thank god I have grandkids!

Ren said...

Great pics. That Jaykeb!!! I am sad you guys live so far away.

Anonymous said...

I thought is was a delightful picture :-)