Monday, July 09, 2007

I'm here AJ! I have just had a busy weekend. Okay, really only Saturday was busy, but I was busy sleeping all day yesterday. Saturday we went to a party with all the management level guys from Mike's work. This was a first for me. I actually only know two people from Mike's work and he never talks about it so it was interesting. Very informative party. Found out, by accident, that Mike got a speeding ticket while driving to Indiana with his boss and another co-worker about a month ago. I guess he felt that since I tried to hide mine from him, he could hide his from me. Turns out neither one of us are very good at hiding things 'cause we both got caught.

Everyone seems nice but it was a little uncomfortable for me because all those people knew each other and were talking about things they had all done together. I also noticed that no one really went out of their way to talk to me. I tried talking to a couple of the wives but they would just answer me and go back to their own conversations. Jaykeb had fun though. The guy who brought Mike to SC has a son a year younger than Jayke and he had a ball playing with him and the bigger kids who were there. It was stinking hot, humid, and sprinkling though and it was at a house on the lake so I was sticky and miserable for a while.

After the party we went out to eat. They only had Korean food at the party and none of us really ate so we were starved. Maybe now we could start doing more with some of the guys Mike works with. There were a couple of the wives who I felt like I could become friends with.

Sunday, like I said, I slept all day. Slept and watched movies with my boys. Mike cooked ribs and they were VERY good. Whatever he did this time he needs to remember it for next time. Then when I was getting ready to go to bed last night I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me in the bathroom. A SCORPION was on the wall above the toilet! At first I didn't even know what to do. I was afraid to wake Mike so I just grabbed a huge handful of toilet paper, grabbed the scorpion, and through it in the toilet. I'm surprised Mike didn't wake up because I was shuddering and yelling and slamming things around. I dreamed about scorpions all night then. I'm heading to Lowe's to get bug spray this afternoon. Can't be having scorpions hanging out in the john. I have to go google them now and read up on them so I can give myself further nightmares.

9 comments:

tommie said...

I hate scorpians! That is exactly why we have Orkin come out every month. There is just a wooded area behind our house, so we have them often. There is an old wives tale that they travel in twos. so look for another one.

Be careful grabbing it with toilet paper. The stinger can whip around pretty quickly. I usually kill it with a shoe first.

Ick.....hate hate hate scorpians!!! my little girl calls them 'scorpy fish'

Bella said...

I hate work functions.

MBKimmy said...

I would have woke Andy in a heart beat ... OMG gross matter of fast this am at 6 am .. yes 6 am feeding I saw a spider ... hit andy on the sholder said OMG go get it ... he did I laughed he went back to bed ... hahahha

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yeah...what Tommiea says...shoes, scissors, leter openers...anything but your hands. You can buy bug spray but the best thing we found were glue traps...of course that was before we had toddlers. I also recommend the occasional scorpion hunt outside the house (use a blacklight at night and walk the perimeter of the house...better yet, have the hubs do it...they glow under the blacklight and then you can step on them before they get in the house).

The best part about bringing kids to that kind of function is that they can be a buffer so that even if no one talks to you it still looks like you're busy and having fun.

P.S. I recommend all white bedding if you don't already have it...makes it easier to see those little bastards if they're hiding out under the covers at night.

Wendy said...

Thank you tommiea and TKW for terrifying me! White sheets? Holy crap! They get in your bed? I won't be able to sleep for a week! I've been cleaning like crazy all day because I saw that little turd last night. Things like that always make me clean. That and deaths in the family. Weird.

KimmyK--I would have woke him up but I thought the scorpion sting might be less troublesome than having to deal with Mike being awakened in the middle of the night.

Anonymous said...

Dude...was seriously considering a move to South Carolina, but you and all the blogger pals have just killed that idea!!! Florida sounds so much better, I know what to expect there!

Wendy said...

AJ--Hate to break it to ya but there are scorpions in Florida too.

Monogram Queen said...

Holy Sh*t! I did NOT know Scorpions were alive & well in SC. I don't think i'd even know one if I saw it but i'm terrified of most critters so i'm sure i'd give it wide berth.
That is too bad people were kind of "clannish" but there you go. That's a group of southern women for you. I hope you do make some friends with the wives that you wish to!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but never saw one for 2 1/2 years...that is the important part!