Saturday, May 19, 2007

Cider

I posted the other day that I was having a Cider adult beverage and now I have people asking me what it is. I didn't know what it was until I read about it on Katie's" blog. After the day I had had I thought I would try it. My grocery has one of those coolers where you can mix and match to make your own six pack so I grabbed different ciders to try. They are pretty good! I can see where drinking a lot of it would make me sick though. I hardly ever drink so I have to take it easy. Good thing for Mike is I'm a cheap drunk. Two drinks and I am pretty much at my limit! Lightweight, yes.So here is the definition I got off of the Wikipedia website for cider. There are a lot of different kinds. I have only tried the apple so far. Haven't found any pear cider yet, but I'm still looking.
Cider (or cyder) is an alcoholic beverage made primarily from the juices of specially grown varieties of apples and pears. In most places in the world, the term refers to fermented apple juice and pear juice, but the drink is known as hard cider or ciderjack in the United States and parts of Canada, where the term "cider" almost exclusively refers to non-alcoholic apple cider.
Cider generally has a stronger alcoholic content than typical beer, usually over 5%, and appears golden yellow and often cloudy. To produce cider, apples are washed and mashed, pressed (usually in a stone mill or hydraulic press), then fermented in oak vats using natural or added yeasts.

Click the link above if you want to read the rest of the definition. Hope that answers any questions.

4 comments:

Bella said...

Glad you liked it! If you can, try a snakebite, it's guiness & cider. YUM!

Jane said...

my husband loves that I too am a cheep date...and when we were dating, he was in college, so I was a real cheep date when we were dating. Many times I treated for both of us since I was working, even making as little as I did as a nanny! But he makes up for it now that I am a stay at home wife.

Jenni said...

I love it that Katie has led you down the cider path! I've tried the pear cider, and it was pretty good. Looks like I'll have to try apple now too.

Wendy said...

I tried the Pear tonight and it is way better than the apple. I found a berry cider too that I'm going to try.