It has been a long time since I've been in a laundromat, but I got to reacquaint myself with one yesterday since the washing machine is broken and won't be fixed at least until Tuesday. Since I'm new to the area I had no idea where I could even find a laundry so I looked in the phone book...turns out they have two. Only two? I was already dreading it. I picked the one I had some idea how to get to and started out with the back end of the Durango loaded with dirty clothes and soaking wet clothes that I finally managed to get out of the broken-down, locked, and full of water washer. The Boy was quite excited about his first trip to the laundromat. "What's a laundromat, Mommy?" I finally managed to find one by just driving around. I thought I better run in and make sure I had enough change to be able to wash the ton of clothes in the back end. I saw on the sign it said "coin-less" laundry. Great! I had dug all those quarters out of The Boy's piggy bank for nothin!(I replaced them with a $10 bill before you yell at me) The attendant on duty must have seen the confusion on my face as I stood and stared at the machine where you were to stick your money in and get an "easy card" in return. I also must have looked over whelmed by the range of washing machines that started at a double load and went all the way up to a dump truck load. Wonder how many lbs of clothing that would be? A triple load machine holds 25lbs...who knew? Since I forgot to stop by the scale with my umpteen bags of clothes on the way out the door I had no idea which machine I would want to use or how much money I needed to put on my "easy card"...which really isn't so easy after all. I was quickly given a lesson on the use of the "easy card" and a refresher course on properly washing your garments. Nice lady...just talked a lot. I was all set so I rounded up my assistant and away we went...in and out...in and out...in and out...what a pain! As you can see below my assistant, as always, was a big help and we managed to get it all done and loaded back in the car.
The Boy's favorite part was pushing the cart back and forth to the car. I'm glad someone had fun. I did meet a nice girl who had also only lived here a year. She was from Minnesota so we talked about and laughed at the response to the "cold" weather here. Nice to have an adult conversation for a change. Maybe I should start hanging out at the laundromat to make some friends or, at the very least, have adult conversation from time to time.
Turns out Mike came looking for us to help us but we had just left. He had no idea where we were but since there are only two laundromats in town(Only two?)he decided to look at both. I think he must have just missed us. He told me when we got home that it is a good thing I didn't go to the other one...it was in a not-so-nice part of town and looked like a dump. Surely he knew I wouldn't have gone there then!
No comments:
Post a Comment