
I've lived in the South a whole year now. I have yet to detect an accent in neither Mike's nor my speech(other than the Hoosier accent we have always had) but I think The Boy is going to have one for sure. Thinking about him speaking with a southern accent made me start thinking about some of the funny things they say down here. I thought I would list my favorites...
...."Mash the button" as in push the button. Can be seen on pop..er uh soda...machines and heard most often at Walmart when being directed how to run your debit card through the machine.
"Burn headlights" as in turn on headlights. Can be seen on street signs along highways.
"widdya-diddya?" as in would you could you(I assume). This is Mike's favorite I think. He hears much more than I do since he works and is around more people than I am. I have yet to hear this one.
"Rubberneckin" as in stopping along the highway to look at a traffic accident. I have heard this a few times. Cracks me up.
You can read more Southern Expressions here. I found as I read through the list that my own grandfather (who was not from the South unless you count the southside of Muncie)used many of these like "finer than a frog hair split down the middle" when asked how he was and my personal favorite was said by him when he was in the hospital and telling about receiving a sponge bath by a friendly nurse, "She washed as far up as possible, then she washed as far down as possilbe, then she washed possible." I guess that pretty much says it all.
2 comments:
I've also heard cockroaches referred to as palmetto bugs. Puh-leeze! As long as you don't get Jayke an engagement ring fund instead of a college fund, he can have all the accent he can get. -
Kelly
Oh yeah...I totally forgot about the engagement ring fund! I will have to get his Oma on that!
Post a Comment