Friday, January 19, 2007

Jayke's New Best Friend


I feel bad for my child. Bad because he is a little afraid of our cat. Bad because he has gone the entire past year and a half without really having a cat with the move and the cats being housed in the basement now. Bad because we had to tell him how to act around the cat and how the cat would act around him when he should have just known since his mother is such a cat person and I never thought I would be without a cat to curl up with at night. After living for a while without a cat though I can't bring myself to go back to cat hair, smelly litter in the house, and hair balls so the cats will have to remain in the basement and backyard for now. I brought Jesse up tonight though so he could roam around, get some attention, and Jaykeb could play with him. At first Jaykeb was afraid of him and would jerk back every time Jesse put his nose toward him or meowed at him. The cat was not afraid of this shrill little person at all though. They soon were best friends and I've never seen Jaykeb as excited as he was to have Jesse in the house to play with him. He had to gather every toy, shoe, book, and cup of chocolate milk in the vicinity to show him. Jesse actually looked interested as the whirlwind of objects were presented for his inspection. Pretty soon he was over on the kitchen floor on his back watching Jaykeb mold snakes out of green playdough for him. I came into the computer room to put some pictures on the blog and I could hear the conversation continuing throughout the house, "That is Mommy's don't touch that, it's breakable. That is the laundry room, Jesse. That is the trash." as if the cat had never seen anything but the basement floor his entire life. Still, it was cute how excited The Boy was and how much the cat, who has never been around a small child, took to Jaykeb immediately. So, now I feel bad for both of them for keeping them from each other all this time. I haven't decided to let the cat remain upstairs full time but I am going to bring him in more often to play with Jaykeb...I don't think I will have a choice anymore.

2 comments:

Emmie said...

what a lovely post.... i loved to know about the friendship between the two.... i loved to see the photos as well ... u can sometimes drop by My Friendship Blog as well and have a glimpse of something u may find interesting...!!!

Anonymous said...

OHMY! That is just too cute! My Niece absolutely LOVES their cat. He's older, slower and would probaby prefer that she NOT stick her fingers in his tiny little nose, but he still puts up with it ;-)

So sweet that your son got over his fear...sometimes just the right animal can do that!