Wednesday, December 13, 2006

White Christmas



Okay, I admit, I want to see some snow. I miss it a little bit. I'm sure it is only because it is Christmas and I love snow at Christmas time. I don't want it to snow here though, just in Indiana. Ha! I want it to snow when I come home then after Christmas it can all melt and go away. I am perfectly happy with my mid to upper sixty degree weather here. It is a little strange though to have the door open and be wearing short sleeve shirts less than two weeks from Christmas. I may never get used to that. It should be snowing on Christmas no matter where you live in the world, it just should. I don't think you ever outgrow that tiny wave of excitement you feel when you hear there is a big snowstorm coming. When you see those first flakes start to fall and you just want to go out and stand in it, at least, I do. The way the quietness surrounds you as the falling snow somehow muffles all the noises we don't realize we hear constantly until they are silenced. The beautiful white landscape and crystalized trees. The wispering wind playfully swirling the flakes through the frigid air. It is true the first bit of a snowfall is beautiful but it quickly fades as brown slush starts to replace the white fluffy snow, the perfect white landscape begins to be marred by footsteps and tire marks. The annoyance of having to scrape car windows and having frozen fingers and wet feet starts to wear on your nerves. Navigating slick icy roads causes you to dread leaving the safety of your warm dry home and all of a sudden you just want it all to go away. So, yes, I want some snow for Christmas but only for a day. Only long enough to feel the excitement and enjoy the beauty. Watch my child discover snow angels and sledding. Watch him try to catch snowflakes on his tongue. Have a snowball fight with him. To see the excitement in him that we all felt as a child when a snowfall brought endless possibilties of adventure and fun. Please let it snow on Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you live in the South now but are you nuts wanting snow.

Wendy said...

Only on Christmas!