Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Those Darn Carts!



A new grocery store opened up here in the spring called Bloom. It is by far my favorite grocery store ever so I go there all the time. On weekends Mike likes to run to the store to pick up a few items now and then too. He also loves Bloom because of their awesome sales. He often takes Jaykeb along on his little outings and Jaykeb loves that. Like all grocery stores they have those couple of carts (in the South they are called buggies) for kids that are a big truck which the child can ride in and pretend to be driving while the poor mother carefully navigates the beast through the aisles and around other shoppers. Jaykeb insists on riding in the truck cart everytime. Mike has told me in the past that they never get the truck when he goes, but somehow I always do. The trucks are constructed so that if you have two children riding in them they can both pretend to drive since there are two steering wheels. Not long after the store opened though I noticed that one of the truck carts was missing a steering wheel. I only have one child so it didn't make any difference to me but Jaykeb always wanted to talk about that missing steering wheel. As I am trying to pick out the best fruit in the mountainous piles stacked strategically around the produce department he is down in the truck mumbling something about breaking the truck. I explain to him (every time) that some little kid broke the other steering wheel off and that is why it is not there. I make a mental note to try to get the truck that isn't broken next time so I don't have to have this conversation again. After a while he seems satisfied with my explanation and moves on to pointing out things he wants, mostly cookies. That is how most of my shopping trips go. After doing my Thanksgiving shopping I was sitting visiting with my mom, Jim, and Mike and the grocery carts came up in conversation. I don't remember how or why but they did and I said how I have to remember to try to get the cart that isn't broken from now on. Mike then tells me that Jaykeb is the child who broke off the steering wheel the very first time they ever went. Imagine my shock to find out that my precious child was the one I have been talking about all these trips to the store when I've had to explain that "some kid" broke the brand new cart! It was my kid and he was trying to tell me that all along. Now everytime I go to the store I am worried that the people working there are thinking here comes that woman and her kid who broke our truck. I know they probably have no idea it was him but I can't keep the thought from crossing my mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look's like there's another writer in the family!! I have so much fun reading this blog!
Love,
Kelly

Wendy said...

Kelly,
Thanks, I have fun writing it. I have good material provided for me daily.